[haiku-development] Re: Using the Haiku cross compilers for other projects

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:36:52 -0400

On 8/20/07, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> To tell you the truth, I'm quite proud of us that we managed to pull off
> binary compatibility with R5 and that we have shown it can be done, which
> many people doubted.

I too think it is quite impressive, though I personally was not
involved with that.

> But.
>
> Could we make a list of programs that we don't have the source for? Is there
> anything besides Gobe Productive that we would miss if we dropped binary
> compatibility? Just thinking out loud.... :-}

This exact same discussion was had in IRC. After all it has been 6
years since the Haiku project was started, and BeOS is quite dead,
even if we all still have some nostalgia for it. So it is not like too
many "cutting edge" programs would be lost.

Of course despite my interest in getting a working WebKit, I still
like the idea of Haiku continuing to be backwards compatible. I think
we can have the best of both worlds here though.

> If I were you, I'd just continue with the porting effort on the basis of GCC
> 4.x. It is going to be tough enough. Who knows how the situation will look
> like once you are farther down the road...

Yes that is my plan in general. Though I'm having problems compiling
ICU with our GCC 4.x, as this thread says :)

There are about 4 or 5 other libraries I will need once I move to
porting WebCore, so I definitely need to solve this current problem.

> Instead of spending time on extending the Haiku loader, you could instead
> spend some time on documenting your porting effort somewhere online (your
> blog on Haiku-OS.org?) in the sense that you describe how to setup the
> development environment you are using, breaking down the project into
> sub-tasks and so on.

I have been keeping pretty detailed notes in an outlined notes program
to document the process for my own purposes and maybe to publish
eventually. Most of it is pretty tedious and boring though ;)

Also the WebKit bounty on Haikuware has the milestones which I'm still
following. I also published a blog on Haikuware about my progress as
of last week. I could put some info on the haiku-os.org site too.

> So that you may get some help eventually. :-) I don't
> have the time right now, but my motivation has been there for quite some time
> to help with this effort ever since I heard of Nirvana. I'd enjoy it very
> much if there were instructions on the web how to prepare the coding
> environment if I suddenly find myself in the situation to be able to help. ;-)

In the end I would like to have it be a simple process for others to
hack on WebKit for Haiku.

But until the port gets further along there isn't too much point. But
don't worry, I generally am good at documenting things so others can
follow my footsteps.

Ryan