[haiku-development] Re: Using the Haiku cross compilers for other projects

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:17:00 -0400

On 8/20/07, Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Haiku is meant to provide R5 compatibility. If you want to run software
> compiled with GCC 4.x you will need to modify Haiku to support both
> types of binaries/libraries.

I am acutely aware of that and am investigating this option. I went
into this in my other thread.

> I never tried to compile WebKit, but please think a little bit more about the
> meaning of "porting".

I've thought about this a lot. In my opinion porting involves adding
to an existing source to have it run on a new system. Having to
compile WebKit on GCC 2.95 (if that is even possible, which I doubt)
would require a fork, not a port, because I have little confidence
that the WebKit project would accept patches which riddle the code
with #ifdefs and hacks to support an ancient compiler. I would rather
not have to fork it.

I will make some more efforts to compile WebKit with GCC 2.95, but the
initial #define problem does not give me much confidence it will go
smoothly.

Ryan