[haiku-development] Re: Unload network driver

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 22:20:34 +0100 CET

"Adrian Panasiuk" <adek336@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ~> ifconfig /dev/net/broadcom570x/0 down
> ~> ifconfig
> loop
> /dev/net/broadcom570x/0
>     hardware type, stuff, inet addr: 192.168.1.101 ....
>
> Shouldn't downing the interface clear the IP?

Why should it? It just changes a flag in the interface, that's all.

> Linux, which I'm more familliar with, isn't it so that it doesn't
> delete the device when all it's interfaces are downed. How would I up
> the interfaces after that?

It does not delete the device - it only clears IFF_UP and sets
IFF_DOWN. This flag change will then cause the net_device layer to
close the actual device.
In Haiku you cannot delete devices, anyway - /dev/ is managed by the
kernel/hardware itself, not the user (ie. there are no major/minor
numbers in Haiku, just the path).

> Also, when I checked with adding some debugging information, ifconfig
> --delete didn't unload the driver, I had to touch the driver file to
> make it unload, which also happened to crash the system.

At least it knew that it could unload it; it would be okay to cache the
driver unless it changed (not sure if it does this, though) :-)

Bye,
   Axel.