[haiku-development] Re: Trouble building @vmware-image on Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 07:45:13 +0100

On 2013-11-12 at 21:48:43 [+0100], John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I still haven't gotten any further getting makebootable to work, I'm
> getting the same error here. Can somebody explain the difference
> between an attribute and a resource in the context of makebootable
> here? I see there is a comment that on Darwin resources don't work so
> we use an attribute instead but I don't have the foggiest idea what
> that means.

Resources are stored as extra sections in ELF files. They are part of the
file data and can only be added to executables and shared libraries.

Attributes are stored at the filesystem layer, out of the main file data.

For the build system, we have reimplemented part of the BeAPI over POSIX.
However, the rresources can only work if your system uses ELF, and on
Darwin this is not the case. Attributes are usually implmented using
separate files, as the xattr support in ext2/3/4 is not flexible enough
(size limitation for attributes, no typing).

On Linux, the Resources can be used as the file format is ELF. On Darwin,
this won't work, so we should be using something else. Attributes are
"close enough".

So it's just a matter of where the data is stored, and how it ends up there.

--
Adrien.