[haiku-development] Re: Text rendering

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:01:32 +0200

Hi Simon,

> > I did write to Maxim and even got a reply, but that is so long ago...
> > IIRC, he didn't say we could have any special license conditions.
> > But to be honest, I think it really doesn't matter very much. AGG is
> > rock solid as is, and we would have a long path ahead of us if we ever
> > wanted to make use of everything it offers right now. It is also very
> > contained in the app_server,
> > so that it would be easy to replace it, should that be necessary for any
> > reason. I don't see any reason for that though.
>
> The only reason I could think of would maybe be for performance. It
> seems like drawing a line to the screen jumps through rather a lot of
> hoops. I remember you doing some benchmarking vs R5 a long time ago and
> got the common cases to be as fast or faster than R5, but wasn't that by
> skipping out a large chunk of the AGG stuff? My memory is really rusty
> here...

Well, it depends on what we want of course. Having anti-aliasing is nice and
makes us look less dated than BeOS. It is also not a frequent usage case
when you look at our GUI. So having anti-aliasing available, while providing
special implementations for the most common drawing jobs (as we do), allows
us to have the good of both worlds. And AGG is not at all slow for what it
does! As far as I know, it is the fastest implementation out there (and
extremely flexible on top of that) except for hardware (OpenGL) based
implementations, which have their own (serious) problems.

Thanks to Waldemar, who pointed me to the current location of that article I
wrote, I just updated and finally published it:

<http://haiku-os.org/documents/dev/painter_and_how_agg_works>

Many thanks btw to whoever did the initial import into our new website! :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan