[haiku-development] Text rendering

  • From: Claudio Leite <haiku@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:29:08 -0400

Hi,

 I'm interested in implementing subpixel text rendering using FreeType's
new-ish LCD filter. I'm poking around, trying to discover where FreeType
is called within Haiku--so far all I'm seeing is AGG. Before I start
hacking away at AGG, I would just like to confirm: is this the right
place?

 Basically, all this should involve is reading an RGB8 bitmap back from
FreeType, rather than 8-bit grayscale. I'm not entirely sure yet how the
different AA pixel colors would get blended back properly onto the screen and
against different background colors, so if anyone could chime in on that
I'd appreciate it.

 (Yes, I'm aware of the patent issues, but I'd like to make this an
option for those willing to recompile parts of Haiku from source.)

Thanks!
-Claudio Leite