[haiku-development] Re: Summer of Code coding

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 19:40:09 +0200

Dustin Howett wrote:
> Alright, that works.
> Hmm... patches against head every time or patches against our last
> changes to our changes... or is that to be decided by the student &
> mentor.

Ideally, your patches follow the coding style guide closely and don't break
stuff which already works (might be hard in your particular case). If the
later is expected for more than a short time, then creating a branch would
be preferred. I am pro giving the students commit access as soon as
possible once they have shown that they can follow the coding style and
mostly know what they are doing (or show a constant flow of work and
learning). Maybe in the first period of time, in case a student is not so
sure about his changes, the passing through the mentor in the form of
patches is the better way to go. But I am all for using the existing
channels and notification mechanisms ASAP so it is easy to stay on top of
what is going on and the progress of the students. Progress of other people
is always motivating, so the less someone works in silence, the better,
IMHO. :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan