[haiku-development] Re: Services Kit API questions

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 22:20:44 -0500

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Hamish Morrison <hamishm53@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes, I took a look at the Chromium network stack already and it
certainly offers a lot of features. I think importing it into Haiku and
wrapping it would be a bit tricky though -- we would have to import not
only the network stack but also a lot of the Chromium base code for
event loops and callbacks and so forth.

Yeah after refreshing my knowledge about it, I came to the same
conclusions. There is a lot of stuff there we would need to support to
get it working. Plus there are things in it we might not need.

If anything, maybe we can try to study their design and get some good
ideas from it. The same can be done with Qt, and whatever other decent
C++ networking libraries there are out there. Then with some merging
of those with standard BeOS/Haiku design, we can some up with a nice,
easy to use and fast networking library for Haiku.

BTW, there are a couple other interesting C++ libraries worth looking at:

http://www.zoolib.org/ (which apparently already works in Haiku)
http://pocoproject.org/
http://libcinder.org/

Since QT is already ported, maybe using it as a guide would be wise ? I know that the QT network performance is fiarly good, if I use Qbitorrent in my home network, I can get data speeds over 10mb's

Sean