[haiku-development] Re: Request to work on newer buildtools integration (GCC/Binutils)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 00:10:24 -0500

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Joseph Prostko
<joe.prostko+haiku@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not really trying to counter-argue you into giving me your vote,
> but did want to add some additional details there.  The bottom line
> being that I want to do the work that nobody else really has a strong
> drive or the time to do.  I know you fear I may bork or pollute the
> repository, but frankly, that's the last thing on my agenda.  Could it
> happen?  Sure, it's possible.  Would my commit access be stripped as a
> result?  I would surely hope so.  So yeah, I think the reward
> outweighs the risk. I'm sure a lot of the devs feel the same way.

I can definitely see Niels reasoning, but I think the above pretty
much sums it up. There are many cases of Haiku developers doing things
out of necessity because no one else has stepped up. In this case if
someone like Joe can maintain the buildtools instead of another Haiku
developer having to do so, it is a smart thing to take advantage of.

It sounds like Joe has a good plan to overcome any lack of knowledge
about Subversion, and if he makes a mistake there are plenty of eyes
watching to correct it. It already sounds like he knows a lot more
about GCC 4.4 and how to get it working on Haiku than most (or all) of
us, so I don't think there is an issue there.

So +1 from me.

On the note of commit access voting, what is the process for handling
negative votes? Is one enough to stop the process, or is it down to a
high majority (maybe 80% positive or something)?

--
Regards,
Ryan