[haiku-development] Request to work on newer buildtools integration (GCC/Binutils)

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko+haiku@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:40:58 -0400

Hello,

I have been working on getting GCC 4.4 working in Haiku since around
the time that GCC 4.4.0 came out.  I think GCC 4.4 has matured enough
now that we should consider moving from 4.3.3 to 4.4.2.

Here's what needs to happen, and I'd be willing to do:

1.) Vendor import GCC 4.4.2 (at least core/g++, possibly objc)
2.) Vendor import MPFR 2.4.1
3.) Vendor import GMP 4.3.1
4.) Vendor import PPL 0.10.2 (required for Graphite loop optimization framework)
5.) Vendor import CLooG-PPL 0.15.7 (also required for Graphite)
6.) Patch/integrate all of the above
7.) Make changes to configure, build/scripts/build_cross_tools_gcc4,
and build/jam/BuildSetup as required
8.) Apply changes to Haiku source to allow Haiku to build/run using GCC 4.4
9.) Update Binutils to 2.19.1
9.) Create optional package and update build/jam/OptionalPackages

The plan would be to import everything needed to do a full-on GCC
build, but not do it by default when building the cross-tools.  By
default, Graphite loop optimization would not be built in or enabled,
but could be optionally built in and enabled via a configure flag when
building the buildtools.

The optional package, however, would be built with Graphite loop
optimizations available, but not enabled (as is the case for GCC
normally anyways).

If you guys would like to take a vote to see if you'd like me to do
this, I would appreciate it.  If allowed to proceed, it might take me
some time to get up and running (as I've never used SVN before in a
committer role), but I should be able to get the job done.

It might make sense to keep me locked away in a branch, at least
initially, but I'll trust your discretion on this one.

Thanks!

- joe