[haiku-development] Re: RTL8101/8102 FreeBSD Driver

  • From: "Dustin Howett" <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:03:25 -0400

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Dustin Howett <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The 8102E, at least, works with the rtl8169 driver, if you skip PHY
> initialization. Would it be beneficial to include yet another driver?
> With rtl8169 networking with the 8102E appears to be completely
> stable, as I have not had an issue with it yet.
>
> -- Dustin

I don't mean "this works for me let's drop it", just to clarify..
I mean, why introduce another driver for a class of devices that can
be supported with a couple modifications to an existing driver;
much like Linux has different PHY initialization for different MAC
versions, and skips initialization for unknown MAC versions-
They're similar hardware, after all.