[haiku-development] Re: RTL8101/8102 FreeBSD Driver

  • From: "Graham MacDonald" <macdonag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:48:42 +0100

2008/9/14 Dustin Howett <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx>

> The 8102E, at least, works with the rtl8169 driver, if you skip PHY
> initialization. Would it be beneficial to include yet another driver?
> With rtl8169 networking with the 8102E appears to be completely
> stable, as I have not had an issue with it yet

Thanks for the info Dustin.  I briefly tried to get the 8169 driver working,
by adding the device id of my card to the lists of accepted ids.  Doing this
made haiku load the driver correctly, but I was still unable to ping
anything.  I haven't had a chance to look at it further, but will do
tonight.  Was skipping the PHY init the only change you made?

As for the question of why support multiple drivers for the same family of
cards, I'm not sure.  One argument for taking the FreeBSD versions is that
haiku then gains functional code for a wide range of cards, with hopefully
little maintenance required of the haiku devs.  On the other hand, you're at
the mercy of the actions of another project.

Cheers,
Graham