[haiku-development] Re: RFC: Goin' all crazy on NetworkSetup Profiles

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:14:24 +1300

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:03:43 +1300, Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After much discussion in irc there seemed to be a general consensus
that applying network settings in the Interface configuration, then
having the interface showing the new address, then having to click
"Apply" in the main window to *really* apply the configuration
changes to the interfaces was a little confusing and tedious.. I tend to
agree.

see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5560191/netpref-wifi.png .. to save new
settings you click "Save", the window disappears and the interface
information updates.. then you click "Apply" to *really* change the
interface settings.

My solution to this is to remove the profiles and overall
revert/apply buttons, this makes things:

* easier to program
* easier to understand
* more clear to the end user

+1 to remove how it works currently . Please take a look how it works in KDE. Profiles are replaced by a list of previous connections. Using this approach, I never thought about profiles at all and it just works as expected. If you connect to a new wifi spot the connection is stored in a list and you can choose if you want to connect to it automatically next time. For example, I just entered the password for a new wifi spot and got a new connection (profile) for this spot, done!

Just start from the available devices to create a connection. These connections should be stored automatically so they can be selected manually if needed. A connection can be edit or removed.

If you have a special static ethernet connection at home name the connection "home (eth)" and you have your profile! Very elegant and easy to understand IMHO :-)

cheers,
        Clemens