[haiku-development] RFC: Goin' all crazy on NetworkSetup Profiles

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 12:03:43 -0600

After much discussion in irc there seemed to be a general consensus
that applying network settings in the Interface configuration, then
having the interface showing the new address, then having to click
"Apply" in the main window to *really* apply the configuration
changes to the interfaces was a little confusing and tedious.. I tend to
agree.

see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5560191/netpref-wifi.png .. to save new
settings you click "Save", the window disappears and the interface
information updates.. then you click "Apply" to *really* change the
interface settings.

My solution to this is to remove the profiles and overall
revert/apply buttons, this makes things:

* easier to program
* easier to understand
* more clear to the end user

This loses the following functionality:

* The ability to have network profiles.

I personally have never used network profiles, nor has anyone in irc.
Before I commit these changes, I wanted to get the general consensus
of the ML to ensure I am not taking away functionality that might be
used by a large percentage of the community.

Here is the network applet *without* the profile settings.  You
configure an interface and the settings take effect when you click ok
in the configuration dialog, or you can click revert to load the
current settings, or you can close the window to not make any changes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5560191/profileless.png

It may look a little empty, but keep in mind other tabs will be
introduced in the future (system network settings, network service
configuration, etc)

 Thanks!

  -- Alex