[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: {dns,name,resolver}_server

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:20:10 +0100

Alexander Botero-Lowry <alex.boterolowry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > libbind isn't so bad either. Granted, its API isn't clean or nice,
> > but
> > it's an established, and well maintained API. Furthermore, it's
> > very
> > commonly available on other operating systems - keeping it around
> > will
> > improve portability for little or no cost. Also, they care about
> > binary
> > compatibility which allows us to actually export the API without
> > headaches.
> ldns is shiny though. :) But, Yeah the compatability is nice, though
> honestly
> most people just go through the posix interface for resolution and
> never
> actuallysee the innerworkings of libbind.

Well, if we decided to drop libbind, now is as good a time as ever.
However, I am not sure whether that's a good idea or not.
I am not sure if it's possible to determine if there are any prominent
dependencies which we would lose because of that or not. If barely
anyone is using the added API, it would even be better to hide it (as
we don't control it).

Bye,
   Axel.