[haiku-development] Re: Porting old BeOS code to Haiku-OS

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 16:12:26 -0400

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Earl Pottinger
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have started to try and port my old BeOS programs to Haiku but I am running
> into multiple problems when I try to compile the code.
>
> Some of the simple CLI programs compile fine, but a number of the more
> complex programs fail.   None of my GUI programs compile.

While we strive to maintain binary compatibility there are some
instance where we've broken source compatibility making it so that you
have to make changes to get an app that compiled under BeOS to compile
under Haiku. I've ported a few apps and there are almost always a few
changes that need to be made. My advice is to load up the app in
Paladin and see what errors there are, if the project came with a
BeIDE .proj file it is easier, if not, start a new Paladin project and
add all the files. You may need to add some libraries (Project ->
Change System Libraries) to get it compile. Look at the error messages
Paladin gives you and try to figure out what it is missing, you might
just need a different #include for it to find something.

> The device drivers do compile and work under GCC2, but while GCC4 will
> compile them the resulting drivers will not load.

Not all BeOS drivers are expected to work, for those that do, they
probably would only work when compiled with gcc2.

> What I needed to know first is it okay to attach a zip file of my source code
> and the error messages to my messages.  And is this the right mailing list or
> should I go elsewhere.

Don't attach a zip file as that will go to everyone but you can
include an error message or link to zip files hosted somewhere or
error messages on something like pastebin.com. The right mailing list
for this is haiku-3rd-party or you can ask on haiku-ports (although
that is more meant for ports from non-BeOS platforms). haiku-devel is
meant to discuss development of the OS itself.