[haiku-development] Re: OpenSSL

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:37:42 +0200

Duane Ryan wrote:
> So I noticed a while back that someone (ingo, p'raps?) had ported
> OpenSSL. This is great news--now things like https and ssh might be
> possible. But I also noticed that it wasn't in the core buildsystem. Why
> is this? I feel like SSL support is at the *core* of every operating
> system, even if it wasn't in r5 (it might have been, I haven't checked).
>
> So... at least have it be in there for R1, if not sooner? I'd hate to see
> Haiku R1 be insecure like that...

As far as I know, Ingo is still hunting down bugs that prevent ssh from
working. I think from there he will contibue with SVN, which is the last
think preventing true self hosting. OpenSSL will probably come as a part of
that.

In any case, I would be pretty surprised if any developer here was against
including OpenSSL and SSH and so on in the eventual first release. So I
wouldn't worry.

Best regards,
-Stephan