[haiku-development] Moslty-Successful VirtualBox Settings

  • From: Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 05:44:28 -0700

> What host are you using VirtualBox on? This could make a difference to
> others that can't get HAIKU running on VirtualBox.

I'll post this on the user forum as well.

It's Fedora 10 Linux on a Core Quad Xeon.  I'm not able to get sound
working, but otherwise everything else is working really well.

Maybe my particular settings just happened to get lucky...

VirtualBox 2.1.4 - the official Sun version, not the Open Source version.

Base Memory: 268 MB
Video Memory: 32 MB
ACPI: Enabled
IO Apic: Enabled

I think the APIC may be important because it distributes interrupts
evenly among multiple CPU cores, and is used on just about all modern
PCs as far as I know.

VT-x/AMD-V: Enabled

The VT-x/AMD-V is probably important - that's hardware support for
virtualizing guest OSes that don't have explicit support for
virtualization.  That is, if you have hardware virtualization, you
should be able to run any PC operating system.

Only certain models of CPUs have the hardware virtualization support -
just recent ones, and even then just higher-end models.  I thought
that all of Intel's latest chips had VT-x but they don't; you have to
check the specs on Intel's website, and similarly for AMD's chips.

VirtualBox *can* run an OS without hardware virtualization; I'm not
real clear what the difference is in the case of VirtualBox - maybe it
just runs slower, or not as well.

Xen, by contrast, can't run an OS like Windows at all unless the CPU
has hardware virtualization; without it, the guest OS kernel has to be
extensively patched - or "paravirtualized" - to enable Xen support.

Nested Paging: Disabled
PAE/NX: Disabled
IDE Controller Type: PIIX4
3D Accelleration: Enabled

Network: Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (NAT)

USB: Disabled

I can't get sound to work at all though, and with certain VirtualBox
Audio settings, I get a repeatible crash when I restart the media
server.

I hope that helps.

Mike
--