[haiku-development] Re: Let's become root! [ was: Re: Berlios? ]

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:36:11 +0200 CEST

> I have given the idea some more thought and as a result, I'd like to
> make the
> following suggestion:
>
> Let's get ourselves a dedicated server and then move all our required
> services to virtual machines running on that server.
>
> After having had a closer look at several different offers available
> here (in
> Germany), I think this one is the best (with respect to being
> reliable and
> affordable at the same time):
>
>       http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/eq4/  (in
> English)

Other known offers:
http://www.kimsufi.com/ (backed by OVH, one of our customers got an OVH
one which works just fine btw)
http://www.dedibox.fr/ (french, by the 2nd french ISP, Iliad, aka Free)

> As you can see, there's plenty of bandwidth and processing power,
> much more
> than a VPS would/could ever give us. Concerning redundancy, there's
> 100GB of
> backup space included in the offer, and the use of VMs should give
> use a lot
> more flexibility (with respect to restoring old, known-to-work
> snapshots or
> testing new versions) than one normally gets by VPS offerings.
>
> If we decide to go with a dedicated server, I would volunteer as a
> general
> admin of that machine (and of the system parts of the VMs as well).
>
> As a request for comment, these are my current ideas:
>
> - VM1: svn repository server
> - VM2: haiku-os web server (www.haiku-os.org)
> - VM3: trac web server (dev.haiku-os.org)
> - VM4: mail server (including mailing lists)

Not really used to VMs as servers, but I suppose it's ok.

> Once we have these running, we could always add more VMs to the set,
> should
> the need arise, but the first aim would be to pull together all the
> different
> services that the haiku world relies on and get the administration
> process
> into a somewhat more consolidated, controlled state.

I suppose we could put another one with haiku.php running :D

> One administrative question that came to my mind is: how difficult
> would it
> be for haiku inc. to pay the hosting bills regularly if those are in
> EUR?

Maybe HSA would like to help there ?

François.