[haiku-development] Re: LLVM status

  • From: Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:03:57 -0500

On Nov 12, 2009, at 9:42, Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
More than 50% C++. Only the lernel has some C in it where needed.

Way more than 50% it's Almost entirely C++. Like you said, only where
needed.

That's what I thought.  I can see the point of providing a working
LLVM binary for third-party developers to use on their own code, but
not the point of using it to make release builds of Haiku itself until
there is a working C++ front end.
I was going to wait untill your package system was decided before I made up a binary release for Haiku.

Some of the POSIX command-line tools could benefit from it, as many of
them are written in C, but I don't think any of them would impact
performance much.
Time will tell.

On the other hand, I know there is an effort afoot to produce that C++
front end.  Someone would do well to keep tabs on it, to ensure that
it will support Haiku once it's ready for production use.
I am keeping tabs on it for you guys, while I do nearly all Ada, I am working closely with a couple guys working on Clang. I'll continue to keep you guys updated with anything important involving Clang and LLVM.

Mike
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com