[haiku-development] Re: In My Infinite Free Time

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:35:27 +0000

Michael Crawford wrote:
Though I recall reading not all ARM chips have all of them.
ie. some might actually only have the TLBs like what PPC does...

ARM7 doesn't have either MMU or TLB.  You can only use physical memory.

But it's still worth supporting, as you would be able to run on a lot
of really low-power hardware.

Linux has the option to run with no MMU.  This was done as a patch for
a long time, but I understand that it was accepted into the mainline
kernel, so now it's a config option.

I had the NewOS kernel running on a 486 way back, so it's possible. And to think of it, I also have an ARM7 development board kicking about someplace. Hmmm ...

Rob