[haiku-development] Re: In My Infinite Free Time

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:32:37 +0200 CEST

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Also a company I worked for back in the late '80s had two Sun
> > workstations that each had only 4 MB or RAM.  That was back in the
> > days
> > when memory was very precious.  Everyone in the whole company could
> > log
> > in to just one of those machines, and it would work just fine.
> Well, just because it was possible back then doesn't mean it's easy
> change Haiku to be like that. I mean regarding your "I don't think it
> would
> be hard at all to get Haiku to run on a 4 MB machine". If you
> actually
> looked into it, you would most likely find out that it's by far not
> only
> the kernel you would need to improve.

"Improving" certainly wouldn't help, especially without VM as
suggested: the only way to achieve this would be by stripping out
features. A lot of features.
Also, one cannot really compare old Suns (probably still with 68k) with
their old SunOS to a computer of this decade and Solaris today. I know
we had such a machine in our university, and (definitely with VM,
though), and it took quite some time to get X started on it if you
dared to try that ;-)

Bye,
   Axel.