[haiku-development] Re: [Haiku-commits] r29724 - haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/bfs

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:21:29 +0100 CET

(moved)

> > I'm not yet sure I like this. This mixes BFS internal indices with
> > user
> > indices; unlike the indices BFS does care about, this one has no
> > meaning to it. It's also not mandatory; people could use it like
> > wanted.
> > I think this rather belongs to either the userland add-on, or
> > should be
> > left to be done manually (ie. by the installer, the build script,
> > ...).
>
> What we need is a index maintenance tool that would allow you to
> create/remove indices and would actually describe what know indices
> are
> for. It could also automatically reindex files when a new index is
> created.

TuneTracker has a librarian script that adds its own Audio:* needs, and
optionally reindex stuff, but something more clever would be nice yes.

As for what the indices are for, it's easy to pick up the first pretty
name for the attribute in the mime db to help identify them.
But something suggesting which attributes to index would be nice.

François.