[haiku-development] Re: Haiku package manager

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 10:13:05 -0800

David Flemström wrote:
On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 3:10 AM, Tomás Acauan Schertel <tschertel@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:tschertel@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Who is working on it?
    I'd like to be a tester. :)

I'd imagine that nothing has been started yet. TiltOS has the "box" package manager but it seems to be of the same type that Linux package managers are.

For Haiku to get a successful package manager, it needs to be (in my opinion) one that can install packages in an isolated way (e.g. by confining the whole application to one folder, and not let it spread out libraries everywhere), that don't need any install scripts to run (a package should only contain a list of files and maybe "hooks" to be executed, e.g. for telling the system to update its library cache; it shouldn't be allowed to "actively" run an install script that changes files and spreads havoc), and have the option to "mount" packages so that they can be used without installation (which requires a compression algorithm with random access, so as to not use that much RAM when decompressing). It should of course also be able to resolve dependencies, both in the "depends" direction and the "provides" direction.

Add all of that up, and you realize how difficult (or easy, depends on how you look at it) it would be to design a package manager for Haiku.

But I wonder: Is there anywhere a discussion about this is being held? I'd really like to participate.

This thread is probably what you are looking for:

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Package-manager

Some of the stuff has already been documented in the Trac wiki:

http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/PackageFormat
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/PackageManagerIdeas

HTH,

--