[haiku-development] Re: Haiku going a peaceful "blip" on startup

  • From: "Andrew Hudson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "hudsonco1@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 07:30:54 -0400

>Am 16.09.2014 17:26, schrieb Joao Pedro Coli Ferreira Dias:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/5mllhje1kf6prty/Hi%20Foo.wav?dl=0
>
>Thanks for your work! I know I am bit late, but personally, I'd prefer
>something less synthetic; something warm, hesitant and unobtrusive that
>lets you feel right at home :-)

I see a flaw in the decision process for choosing media extras for Haiku. Let
me explain.
When it comes to code, a developer gets to choose the code he/she writes and
commits. When it
comes to graphics, sound, etc that is in the interface, everyone feels they
have a right to criticize.
The result is that the one person who is contributing the media is faced with
trying to satisfy many
critics. This is quite difficult and will have the end result of preventing any
reasonable media at all.

If Haiku were a larger project with multiple media contributors, or dedicated
media contributors we could
have more of a selection process. I have seen a little of that with past Haiku
graphics but that was years ago.

So I would like to say that although we all may feel entitled to our favorite
sounds, or logos, please
consider that we have one guy offering some sounds. He has not volunteered to
satisfy everyone's desires.

So maybe before we start asking for customizations we at least get a complete
set of sounds first,
for completeness and testing purposes. And maybe we also consider a different
selection process.

Thanks,
Andrew