[haiku-development] Re: Haiku font rendering is not as good as Linux

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:01:33 -0400

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Axel Dörfler<axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just don't forget that the subpixel setting is used everywhere, not just
> for fonts, IIRC.

Yes, that is also used for vector rendering, right? I need to look
more at that to be sure.

But the fact that this panel has a "Glyph hinting" drop down (which
again the average person has no idea what that is) makes it seem font
specific, at least to a technical person like me. Of course I guess
this panel was just put together in the GSoC to test this new font
rendering and no one tried to fix it yet.

> In generally, though, I'm all for making this panel better, and getting
> rid of the tab header would definitely be a step in the right direction.

By saying "getting rid of the tab header", do you mean making the
Appearance prefs one page, or just renaming the tab?

> You can easily come close to Mac style now by disabling hinting.

Maybe, it is hard to tell though without doing a more direct
comparison, but I think ours looks pretty bad without hinting.
Especially with the color edge filter off or on a lower setting. In
addition turning off hinting results in some bad behavior. The
Terminal in particular renders weird (I guess because this makes
monospaced fonts not really monospaced anymore.)

> While I agree that the Ubuntu rendering looks more homogenous than
> Haiku's, this is just a trade off between readability and looks.

Logically I would think homogenous looking text would be more
readable. ThIS Is HaRdEr TO rEAd, RiGhT? Though that is an extreme
example :P

> FWIW I prefer Haiku's font rendering as well (though I like the patented
> font rendering better than that of the automatic FreeType hinter as seen
> in our alpha builds).

Hmmm, I've been using the patented stuff for a while, I suppose I
should turn that off and see how bad things look ;)

--
Regards,
Ryan