[haiku-development] Re: Haiku font rendering is not as good as Linux

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:35:04 +0200

> On 2009-08-27 at 16:37:24 [+0200], Anoop Kumar Narayanan
> <anoop.kn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > @topic (To all)
> > I've noticed it too. The sub-pixel rendering on Linux is a lot more
> > smoother(better) in comparison to Haiku.
> > Point I am trying to make: Its not that Sub-pixel smoothing may be
> > difficult to read for some users because of aging, etc etc, its
> > just
> > that, when its activated on both operating systems, Linux provides
> > much
> > better result.
>
> For you it does. For me it doesn't. The point has already been made:
> it's
> personal preference.
>
> But just as much as Linux does not offer the Haiku sub-pixel
> rendering
> (which I find superior), Haiku does not currently offer the Linux
> blurred
> sub-pixel filter (you may call it "smooth", I call it "blurry").

Yes, I personally agree with the "blurry" but I know quite a few people
who see it as "smooth" as well.

> A totally different story here is that Ubuntu has the patented hinting
> as
> well as the patented sub-pixel rendering turned on. We have turned
> both off

Sorry, but if Ubuntu can have them on, why exactly can't we? I
understand that there are patents involved, but we certainly aren't the
first to run into that problem. How do the Ubuntu guys go about that
issue then? Do you have to explicitly enable that during installation
or download a special build to get them?

Regards
Michael