[haiku-development] Re: Haiku SMP Status

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:39:27 +0100

> Is there any interest whatsoever as to the results on a single
> core/CPU platform? Or is this code not hit at all in that
> circumstance?

It is hit if you're BIOS sets up ACPI tables. But on a single CPU
system you shouldn't really notice anything. Even if the code failed,
it normally just resorts back to 1 CPU. But if it hangs for you or
something like that since the changes, I'd obviously like to know ;-)

> Also, on a somewhat tangentially related note, the Chart
> screenshot made me remember: how does Haiku's scheduler currently
> handle affinity? I remember with R5, enabling the 2 thread option
> would result in the two threads bouncing randomly between active
> CPUs,
> which is obviously suboptimal for performance.

I think it does not consider it at all right now. But there's supposed
to be a completely new scheduler implemented. I guess this one will
include affinity? Does anyone know of news on that one BTW?

Regards
Michael