[haiku-development] Re: GSoC project

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 21:00:08 +0200 CEST

Le Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:26:04 +0200, Mathieu PREVEL a écrit :
> Hi devs,
>
> My name is Mathieu PREVEL. I am 23 and live in britanny a region of
> France.

Hi Mathieu,

> I am studying computer science at ENSSAT an engineering school.

Oh a french ;)

> I would to apply for an idea which is not suggested yet. I am
> interested in
> the fact to participate to make Haiku multi-users. I am really
> focussed on
> this project because I think it is the best way to make Haiku used by
> everyone.

Good pick I think.

>  I have several ideas to suggest for this project.
>
> First, I could work on a graphical interface which could be easily
> updatable
> and redesignable.
>
> This interface consists in :

You'll want to look at:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/apps/login

It's already pretty much usable, appart the actual login process.

It might make use of the Layout API though.

>  Then a pannel should allow to configure this interface :

That's yet to be done.

>    Configure/ customize the design of the log interface

An idea I started implementing is to use a Shelf to allow adding
replicants (like the Clock...). Care must be taken to make sure people
cannot actually interact with them though.

>  This pannel, or another one should allow to manage users :
>

> For example the path of the home could be :
>
>    -
>
>    /boot/home/login1
>    -
>
>    /boot/home/login2

/boot/home might likely become the home for the root account... though
it's not fixed yet.

> Another way, to preserve the compatibility could be :
>
>    -
>
>    /boot/usr/login1

/boot/users/* would be more in line with the usual names we use.
Besides usr is confusing as under UNIX it's used for other stuff.

> and to use a symbolic link at the connection to keep « home » as home
> for
> each user.

> and to use a symbolic link with /home

That seems like a bit of a hack.

The most interesting part will surely be the security part though,
making sure each part of the OS is only accessible by those allowed,
and finding ways to keep the current API as much usable as possible
with non-root account.

François.