[haiku-development] Re: [GSOC] xhci or USB3.0 support initial patch

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 17:23:55 +0200

Jian Chiang <j.jian.chiang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:10:03 +0200
> "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Jian Chiang <j.jian.chiang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Can haiku boot from NFS? It will helps a lot especially when
> > > doing kernel development.
> > No, but it can boot from network nevertheless with the
> > remote_disk_server that is also in the repository.
> > http://www.haiku-os.org/guides/booting/over_local_network -
> > hopefully
> > still up to date :-)
> > Note that you'll have to run your own DHCP server to make this work
> > as
> > it boots via PXE.
> Thanks for this site link. Now I come across another problem, I can't
> setup another DHCP server because there's already one. How to resolve
> this
> problem?

I have the same setup here, and solved this by only giving out an
address for this particular machine. Since the other router is slower
to respond, there haven't been a problem with this yet :-)
Another work-around would be to connect both machines directly.

> PS: I really like the powerpc solution which can hardcode the IP
> address
> "boot enet:TFTP_SERVER_IP,boot_loader_openfirmware,MY_IP_ADDRESS"

That's the beauty of OpenFirmware. It's pretty much dead these days,
though.

Bye,
   Axel.