[haiku-development] Re: GSOC project suggestion

  • From: Ziyu Yu <yuziyumail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:54:17 +0800

> * I'm not sure whether it is a project big enough for GSoC. The file system
> itself will be relatively simple, so I think the basic framework can be
> implemented in a few days; maybe add one or two more to get familiar with
> Haiku's FS interface. The is the main task would have to be the
> implementation of the different services offered. ATM I don't have an
> overview of all potential ones, so I can't really say much about that.
> Maybe you can detail on which ones you're thinking of.

  Woo, I don't think it's just piece of cake to put a /proc filesytem
here.  You know most of the contenet of /proc files are generated on the
fly. Maybe lots of jobs must be done for each sepecific proc file.

> * In Haiku all file systems support node monitoring (i.e. anyone can
> request to be notified when something in the FS changes). Since a procfs
> shows statistical information that change over time, several kernel
> services would have to notify procfs to provide that feature, and
> potentially a lot of node monitoring messages would be sent. Performance
> might be an issue here.

 I'm not familiar with the node monitioring mechanism. Is it possible to
make the /proc filesystem outside of the node monitoring?

> * The directory layout of /proc in Linux looks a bit ugly. Directories for
> processes are mixed with all kind of other stuff. If we had to copy that
> layout for compatibility, I'd be less inclined to like the idea.

The layout maybe different, of cuz. :)