[haiku-development] Re: GSOC 2012

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:18:04 +0200

Hi,

On 24.04.2012 01:02, anil kag wrote:
*Crucial part:*
Now i understand why i was not selected??

The reason is very simple. We had several proposals for the IMAP-FS project, but none of them were convincing. The IMAP-FS is quite a challenging project. There has been a very long discussion on this mailing list quite some time ago, about all the problems and challenges with this idea. None of the proposals showed that any substantial research into those problems was done.

If I think *shortly* about IMAP-FS, I know it has to sync with the server, provide local caching, fetch headers and so on. Those are the obvious, user visible features. In a convincing GSoC proposal however, I have to dig in a lot deeper, anticipate potential problems and try to envision their potential solutions. I can't just "assume" that I will "somehow" solve "anything" that may come up.

Some of the GSoC proposals that we accepted this year were also not "convincing" at first. But those students then provided details in the communication following their proposal, or improved their proposal with the results of that communication.

I hope this provides some insights into why your project was not selected. I can fully understand that it may be hard to allocate as much time to GSoC between exams and all, as would be necessary. As organization, Haiku however has to work with what is there, in the proposals and in the communication. You *may* have succeeded with your project, but from the information available to us, we were not convinced it was very likely. If you participate again, make sure your proposal and communication *convinces* that you have done the necessary research into implementation details of your project.

Best regards,
-Stephan