[haiku-development] Firefox Port? was: R1/a4 initial planning

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:55:08 +0000

On 22/02/12 19:28, Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
I havn't looked at recent Firefox, but it may or may not be easier to
port. The trend towards the end seemed to be to make it harder to
port, instead of fixing problems in NSPR they wrote something that was
almost the same in XPCom but less portable. Add to that the need of
new GUI and font-handling and probably a lot of upgraded or new third
party libraries they will have added to that.

It seems like it might be worth looking at what the current dependencies are.

*If* the platform abstraction is smaller and more stable (as in fewer changes) with FF then keeping up-to-date might be easier than with webkit, and given the current problem is lack of man power than that might be the most resource-efficient way to maintain an up-to-date browser until we have a large-enough community to keep up with the pace of change in WebKit. That's quite a big if, but I'll do a bit of research into the current state of the FF platform abstraction.

Urias: Do you have any links on the new rendering stuff? Much of the developer documentation is way out of date (the gecko page lists features "expected to be supported by the end of 2000").

Simon