[haiku-development] Re: FilePanel opened pre-emptively

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 18:49:04 -0400

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have another concern with these hidden windows: it makes application
> scripting more difficult, since frequently the first window (Window 0)
> ends up being the hidden file panel. Those "bad surprise" moments are
> the sort of thing I think we should avoid in Haiku. Though I can
> concede that most people are probably not using the hey command that
> much to script things (but I'm not really sure.)

I would argue that's a broken script ; the index order of the windows
can change for any number of reasons (i.e. an app that opens some form
of initial setup window the first time it's run, or detects some error
condition, changes to the app in a new version, etc.). There's a good
reason scripting includes the ability to ask for the window count, the
name of each window, and various other attributes.

Regards,

Rene