[haiku-development] Default Soundfont (was: big_synth.sy considered harmful)

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:03:26 -0800

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 07:00:46PM -0800, I wrote:

> TimGM6mb: 5.72 MB
> [...]
> This is currently available as a Haiku optional package.
> It is the smallest of the set, but definitely has deficiencies.  It seems to
> sound a bit harsher generally than the bigger ones, and four instruments --
> the accordion, harmonica, bandoneon, and whistle (22, 23, 24, and 79) are
> unlistenable.

As Ingo pointed out that this is included in alpha-3, I felt that those bad
voices ought to be fixed.  I've now done so.  They probably aren't perfect
yet, but they're definitely usable, which they weren't before.

I took TimGMSoundFont-2010-06-16.zip from thaiku.files.org, and updated
it to TimGMSoundFont-2011-12-11.zip.  In the process I reorganized things
a bit, in a hopefully acceptable way.

It seemed to me that having big_synth.sy in the 'system' hierarchy means
that it should not be intended to be user-modifiable.  Yet if the user wants
to install a different font, they have to delete the original link (getting the
scary warning pop-up in the process...!) before making a new one.

So I have moved the TimGM6mb file to /boot/common/data/synth/ and
put a 'big_synth.sy' link to it in the same directory.
The /boot/system/data/synth/big_synth.sy now points to that *other*
big_synth.sy, so it never needs to be changed -- the user just alters
the secondary link.

At some point, as I mentioned, I think the names should be changed
to something better -- it seems wrong to have anything in 'system'
at all for this purpose -- but for now BSynth needs it there.

Now, how do I get the revised zip into the optionalpackages site?
For the moment, I've put it at:

  http://goodeveca.net/haiku/TimGMSoundFont-2011-12-11.zip

So maybe someone can check it out?

Thanks,