[haiku-development] Re: Couple of questions about PM

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 20:55:31 -0400

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/06/2013 05:31 AM, John Scipione wrote:
>>
>> I just got package management to work for the first time, so, I've got
>> a couple of questions.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

>> 1. When I try to install an application from a .pkg file, it doesn't
>> work presumably because it's trying to write to /boot/home/config.
>> What's the work-around? Can we perhaps change the package installer
>> app to write to /boot/home/config/non-packaged instead?
>
> I suppose so. Alternatively maybe it could create a HPKG and activate that.

Well, ideally I want to do both, create an .hpkg for apps I've got,
and, also provide a way for existing .pkg files to install into
non-packaged. If I can figure out how to extract the binaries out of
the .pkg files I've got I should be able to make .hpkg files out of
them.

>> 2. Does the package manager provide a means for requiring the user to
>> agree to a license as a pre-requisite for installing a package? I'm
>> thinking to create a package to install MS Web Fonts, but, to install
>> them you must first agree to an EULA.
>
> The package format supports a B_PACKAGE_FLAG_APPROVE_LICENSE flag, but so
> far the package managers ignore it. I'm also not quite sure whether a global
> flag per package is sufficient, or whether this might be needed per license.
> Or maybe there even needs to be a text separate from the license?

I'm thinking if the B_PACKAGE_FLAG_APPROVE_LICENSE flag is set then
pop up a dialog that lists the license in a text field with Agree and
Disagree buttons below. At least for my purposes a single flag would
be enough. We could specify the license text in the package? Here's
the EULA license text for the MS Web Fonts as an example.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/eula.htm

>> 3. Now that /boot/common/ is gone, /boot/system/ is where software for
>> all users is intended to go, but, creating a folder or writing
>> anything in there causes Tracker to throw up a nasty warning dialog,
>> can we relax that a bit?
>
> I'm sure we can. :-)

Okay, I'll look into disabling the Tracker warnings for /boot/system/config/.