[haiku-development] Re: Call for release manager for next release

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 11:37:12 -0800

> I'd also agree to wait a bit longer. Things like ticket #10164 [1] should
> definitely be fixed before a release, too.
>
> AFAICT we haven't really identified the blocking tickets for the next
> release; and before we do so, we should probably decide whether or not the
> next release should be beta/1 or alpha/5.
> At least some of the beta/1 blockers aren't really blocking it IMO (like
> #35 [2], or #5524 [3])
>
> Bye,
>    Axel.
>
> [1] http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/10164
> [2] http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/35
> [3] http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/5524
>

> Yeah I agree that 35 and 5524 aren't really blockers of the first Beta
release.  #35 might make for a good GSoC project (hint hint) as it would
open up Haiku to being able to be used for some embedded projects.  #5524
looks like a meta-ticket to follow all of the tickets it blocked, but all
of those are now completed, so what is really left to do for #5524, maybe
it just needs to be updated to reflect the current status.

As far as identifying the next release, I think we need to do it in the
reverse order you suggest.  First create a new milestone called Alpha5,
then go through and move any of the suggested beta blocking tickets into
Alpha5 blockers if they block a release or keep them in the Beta milestone
if they are just holding up a required feature of R1 that needs to
be finished before we can call it a Beta release.  Once we get through the
66 open beta tickets let's see how many fall into which milestone and then
figure out if the next release is Alpha5 or Beta1.  Perhaps even create a
Beta2 milestone to push some of the open issues into if they aren't really
blocking either an Alpha5 or Beta1.  Some of those 66 tickets I don't see
as even being blockers for R1, so maybe some of these even get pushed to
unscheduled...

-scott