[haiku-development] Re: Boot screen icons

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:04:46 +0100

On 2008-11-09 at 07:31:19 [+0100], Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Thanks for that clarification. I changed things to:
>
> Atom         Initializing modules.
> Disk + magnifier    Creating rootfs (/) and mounting devfs (/dev).
> Plug-in card         Initializing device manager.
> Boot disk         Mounting boot disk.
> Chip         Loading CPU specific modules.
> Folder         Final initialization of subsystems.
> Rocket         Boot script starting the system.
>
> When you say some of these stages don't really deserve an icon, how about
> changing the
> meaning of the icons in a fashion that would allow every icon about equal
> time on your
> average hardware to light up?

If someone wants do that, sure. There just might not be something like the
"average hardware". E.g. on my T61 the USB stuff seems to contribute
significantly to the boot time (maybe because the BIOS doesn't want to let
go of it?), on another box it might be some other piece of "average
hardware".

But really, just plaster the kernel's main2() with time measurements and
test on a lot of different hardware. Maybe a better distribution of the
stages presents itself. We could even add more stages for the boot script
(at least up to the point when the app server is started), if necessary.

> As a means to troubleshoot, the syslog is needed anyway. (Speaking of
> which... would it be
> possible to check if the boot process hangs and after a while display the
> last few lines
> of the syslog?)

That should be possible. Basically the initialization thread would need to
report its progress more often (after every line) and another thread would
need to monitor it.

CU, Ingo