[haiku-depot-web] Re: Depot / Repository / HaikuDepot (Desktop) And How It Should Fit Together

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 10:09:09 +0200

Hi Andrew,

Am 04.05.2015 um 12:39 schrieb Andrew Lindesay:

I would like to clarify my understanding of the repositories a wee bit
so that I can better understand if and how third-party repositories (eg;
[2]) fit into the Haiku package system.

At the top of HaikuDepot desktop application, there is a "Depot"
drop-down. When you choose "HaikuPorts" this is presumably showing
material from the repositories configured on HDS [1] at present. There
is a repository there for each of the following architectures;

* x86_64
* x86_gcc2
* x86

Do these together form a "Depot"? If so, would it be a good idea to
model a Depot in HDS where a Depot may consist of a number of
Repositories? In this way, the Depot could be indicated in API vended
from HDS in order that the user can specify the Depot they would like to
pull data from?

Is that making any sense?

To me - mostly. Until now I thought a "Depot" is synonymous to a repository (.hpkr). "HaikuPorts" is pre-configured on the nightlies. And the architectures are independent repositories, if I am not mistaken. If you pick "HaikuPorts" from the HaikuDepot drop-down, you should see only the packages from that repository, and they should all have the same architecture (or "any").

It may still make sense to group repositories by "site" in HDS. And maybe "Depot" as a name for that is fine. On the other hand, a site may host more than one repository and it may be nice to view them separately. Maybe repositories could be represented in a structured way in HDS:

HaikuPorts
HaikuPorts/x86_64
HaikuPorts/x86_gcc2
HaikuPorts/x86

And you can select the specific one, or the group as a whole? Or maybe place checkmarks with some additional actions like "select all" and "select none"...

In any case, an API where HaikuDepot pulls from the server the available "Depots" would be really cool. That way, it could add/remove repositories without the user having to type much with possibilities to screw up including selecting the wrong architecture.

Best regards,
-Stephan