[haiku-appserver] Re: Refactoring

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:03:54 +0200 CEST

Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Workspace needs separate Screen objects, because it has to store
> > the
> > configuration of every single one. It also should keep this
> > information
> > available when such a monitor is temporarily not available (and
> > therefore, doesn't have a Screen object at all).
> > With my first paragraph, I wanted to point out that the current
> > (Physical)Screen class and the virtual one do not have a lot of
> > common
> > concepts - I don't think it makes sense to introduce a common base
> > class for them.
>       Although I hold my opinion, go do was you wish. :-)

And although I still don't see the common base class of those, I think
you've convinced me that it's a good idea to have a separate class
doing this.
That also means that this class has to take care of the configurations
of the screens and their layout, while each workspace would then have a
different configuration.

BTW I've seen that there exist a "port replicator" for Windows (around
US$ 200 each) that allow you to have several users logged into a single
machine incl. the graphic output.
In our design, you would need to write a multi-head aware driver (or
export a driver for each head, anyway), and then you could either use
all screens at once, or have the app_server divide them between several
users (the latter is definitely R2, though) :-)

Bye,
   Axel.