[hackpgh-discuss] Re: opposite of a flex sensor

  • From: Ed Paradis <legomaniac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 15:09:19 -0500

The "problems" with muscle/nitinol wire are that it:
1) doesn't move much
2) doesn't work with electricity per se; it works by heating (you run
electric current through it to heat it)
3) it is asymmetric: you can heat it quickly to make it contract, but
you just have to wait for it to cool. This means you have to use pairs
(like real muscles) and deal with some mechanical compliance issues.

Just a heads up.  These might not be something that interfere with
your project.  I've never found it to be suitable for anything I've
wanted to do, but I know a lot of people have used it before.

Benefits include the muscle wire itself being very light weight and small.

Ed