[hackpgh-discuss] Re: opposite of a flex sensor

  • From: "j. eric townsend" <jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:06:22 -0500

aka nitinol wire.

my old studio mate Greg makes robots out of paper and nitinol wire:

<http://www.gregsaul.co.uk/lookAt/paperRobots/>

On 3/3/11 13:59, Matt Mets wrote:
Muscle wire!

Logan Stack <logan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On 3 Mar 2011, at 11:41 , jeff kramer wrote: > An important
    differentiation question: mussel or muscle? muscle I don't know how
    to spell 'exercise' either... does that make me a geek? Ed: I
    started my quest looking at more mechanical means like you
    suggested... But I got frustrated. The spine bends in a nice arc in
    any direction. Maybe I could print vertebrae on a MakerBot and pull
    on a string to 'contract the muscle' in the direction of the bend?
    But that seems pretty fragile compared to a material that
    contracts/bends under voltage, and I swear I've seen this material
    used somewhere. I just can't remember where, and can't search for it
    because I don't remember what it's called :-(

--
J. Eric Townsend
design: www.allartburns.org; hacking: www.flatline.net;  HF: KG6ZVQ