[hackpgh-discuss] Re: launch model rocket to 120k feet, hack pgh project?

  • From: Jake S <jskiba99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 06:16:39 -0500

My house is up that way and make the drive quite often so I'd definitely be
available to drive +3 comfortably.

Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 22:58:40 -0500
Subject: [hackpgh-discuss] Re: launch model rocket to 120k feet, hack pgh
project?
From: alexreasinger@xxxxxxxxx
To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I contacted the rocket club spectators are welcome.He says that the winter
launches can be hit or miss due to the weather. he will let me know if it is
cancelled, and that he will be sure to bring a couple of high power models to
fly.So who is interested in going to the launch on Jan 18th at 12:00I figure we
can meet at the shop before hand and car pool up.it would be about a 1 hour
drive from the shop.
Alex

On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM, Chad Elish <chadisrad@xxxxxx> wrote:
That would be a fun trip!

-ChadSent from my iPhone
On Dec 20, 2014, at 21:15, Alex Reasinger <alexreasinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

you can count me in.
On Sat, Dec 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Greg Land <landjgregory@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
+1 to this idea.
On Dec 20, 2014 1:40 PM, "Alex Reasinger" <alexreasinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It looks like there next launch day is January 18th. I looked it up last night
it is only a 1hr drive from hackPGH. We should contact them and see about
heading up to watch. We could carpool there.
On Dec 20, 2014 11:15 AM, "Robert Berger" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That club has an FAA waiver to 8700 feet, on a farm near Grove City.
I'd be interested in building tracking and video transmitters.
- Bob

On Dec 19, 2014, at 3:13 PM, Greg Land <landjgregory@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here is the local NAR club.  I use to be a member of the 503 back in Lancaster.
http://www.nar.org/local_club/pittsburgh-space-command-psc-473/

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Greg Land <landjgregory@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:While
I can not speak for the board I simply I see no problem with working on rockets
in the shop. I would say a policy like this would be reasonable.  Leave the
motors at home and only bring them out for launch days and don't bring them to
the shop.  If you need to do work that requires a motor for sizing reasons
bring an expended motor or an empty reusable casing with no propellant.
On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Greg Land <landjgregory@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:NAR
certifications let you buy bigger motors.

http://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-1-hpr-certification/
Level 1 allows the purchase and use of H and I impulse class motors; solid and
hybrid. Certain F and G motors may also require Level 1 certification for
purchase and use.Level 2 allows the purchase and use of J, K, and L impulse
class motors; solid and hybrid.Level 3 certification allows the purchase and
use of M, N, and O impulse class rocket motors; solid and hybrid.

http://www.nar.org/join-nar/
New members of the NAR can get regular membership benefits:6 issues of the
56-page color Sport Rocketry magazineA 60-page how-to book on all aspects of
rocketry, the NAR Member Guidebook$2 million rocket flight liability
insuranceAccess to NAR technical reports, high-power certification, and
clubsAnnual Membership Fees
*Membership: SR (Age 26 and older) Join - 1 Year ($62) - Regular Magazine
 SR (Age 21-25) Join - 1 Year ($25) - Regular Magazine
 SR (26 and Older) Join - 1 Year ($79) - Magazine First Class
 SR - (26 and Older) - Join 1 year ($50) - FAMILY (must have Family member who
already receiving Magazine)
 SR (26 and Older) Join - 3 years ($180) - Regular Magazine
 SR (21 and Older) CANADA/MEXICO - Join 1 Year ($77) - Magazine
 SR (21 and Older) FOREIGN - Join 1 Year ($92) - Magazine
 LR (Age 16-20) Join 1 Year ($25) - Regular Magazine
 LR (Age 16-20) - Join 1 Year ($42) - Magazine First Class Shipping
 LR (Age 16-20) Join 1 Year ($13) - FAMILY (must have a Family member already
receiving Magazine)
 JR (Ages 15 and under) Join 1 Year ($25) - Regular Magazine
 JR (Age 15 and under) - Join 1 Year ($42) - Magazine First Class Shipping
 JR (Ages 15 and under) Join 1 Year ($13) - FAMILY (must have a Family member
already receiving Magazine)

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Alex Reasinger <alexreasinger@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:We could start with the f & g then and see if we want to go beyond that.
What would we be looking at for insurance, and what does it take to get a NAR
certification and what does it get you?
On Dec 19, 2014 2:48 PM, "Greg Land" <landjgregory@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Biggest you can do before you start running into problems is f and g motors
produced by aerotec

After that it's insurance and space that become a problem.  You can't by
anything else without a NAR certification
On Dec 19, 2014 2:45 PM, "Greg Land" <landjgregory@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's not about viable.  It is totally and completely doable.  I've done it. Its
a blast and I recommend going after it.  Just know it isn't a hey let's go to
120k feet kind of thing.  It's a multi year project so you just have to be in
for the long haul.  As I said I am willing to mentor anyone who is interested
in rocketry I just don't have a lifestyle yo support doing it myself anymore
sadly.
On Dec 19, 2014 2:41 PM, "Yevgeniy Soroka" <ukranians2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not sure how realistic this is. Greg has good points about why its not
viable. Then again I'm sure Gabe knows a guy who knows a guy. And probably has
half the required equipment in his basement.

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Alex Reasinger <alexreasinger@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:I would be interested in getting involved. I have always wanted to try
out high powered rocketry.
On Dec 19, 2014 2:37 PM, "Yevgeniy Soroka" <ukranians2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dont bring reality into this Greg! :P

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Greg Land <landjgregory@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Yep
we would also need about 120k feet of uninhabited area to launch it in.  As
well as a waver from the FAA.  Also one of us would have to get a low
explosives user permit from the ATF to be able to buy that much propellent.  So
one of us would have to give up our right to unreasonable search and be willing
to let the ATF search there home whenever the ATF wanted to.
On Dec 19, 2014 1:54 PM, "Yevgeniy Soroka" <ukranians2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I still say we should think about this, because its totally badass. Discussion
for UAV club.

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Greg Land <landjgregory@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Also
you would need someone with a level 3 NAR certification.
On Dec 19, 2014 1:52 PM,  wrote:
Money. Time.  Time + Money
I use to do rocket contests and just like the big boys its the propellent that
kill the wallet not the rocket itself.
On Dec 19, 2014 10:16 AM, "Yevgeniy Soroka" <ukranians2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The balloon is cool, but what would it take for us to do this? Besides sign 100
government forms giving us permission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQw_C5KLhFM
-Geno