[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Can we laser cut bricks?

  • From: Doug Philips <dgou@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 09:47:06 -0500

Interesting idea. I can't really tell from "the interwebs', but it looks like
cemenet is 2-3 times heavier than bricks, so for hanging things that might be
an issue.

Of course now I'm thinking we need to "pave with bricks" the mud lot, using
maybe 4 colors
to reproduce the logo, since we could laser, er, I mean, water jet cut the
shapes we'd need.

I have no idea though if something like Inkscape could superimpose a grid of
brick shapes
on the logo and generate the necessary cut lines.

Then there is the huge amount of manual labor in doing that and maintaining it.

Getting back to the concrete idea though, that could be a cool class idea,
having folks
sign up to design their own 'paving stone' form, and class fee would include
the materials
(wood and cement). But I don't know if we want to babysit a bunch of concrete
forms in the shop,
maybe we just send them home with the forms to pour themselves?

-=D