[guispeak] Re: buying a new computer

  • From: gerald.g.weichbrodt@xxxxxx
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:12:55 -0400

Hi Rick,
I don't have answers for all your questions, but I can comment on some of
them.  First, as far as memory is concerned, I really don't think you'll
kick yourself if you opt for as much as is reasonably possible.  I got a
computer with a gigabyte of memory 3 years ago, and I think having gone for
as much memory as possible at the time may be a good part of why the
machine still seems so acceptable even now.  I have a Gateway, by the way,
and I have had good experience with their tech support over the past nearly
10 years.

Concerning versions of Windows, I believe I have read that Freedom
Scientific makes no claims as to JAWS's compatibility with Windows Media
Edition.  That kind of suggests to me that you might be happier sticking
with XP Home or XP Professional.

Concerning speaker systems, I have gotten systems with separate sub-woofers
the last couple of times, and I think having separate control over
sub-woofer volume may be a good thing if you have a hearing loss and
concern about too much bass making it hard for you to hear the audio
properly.  I expect you'll want a decent set of speakers just to avoid
excess distortion, but if you're looking at reasonably good systems, then
you'll probably wind up with respectable speakers.  I don't feel
comfortable weighing in on either side in terms of integrated audio versus
a separate plug-in sound card.

I hope this helps a little, and, of course, it's just one man's opinion.

Regards,
Jerry

                      "Roderick, Rick

                      (OFB-LV)"                To:
"'guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      <Rick.Roderick@ky        cc:

                      .gov>                    Subject:  [guispeak] buying a
new computer
                      Sent by:

                      guispeak@freelist

                      s.org

                      07/25/2005 09:56

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      guispeak

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a new computer within the next few months.  I am
trying
to figure out what I need and what to avoid.  Here are a few questions.

1.  How much memory?  Some people say that 512 is enough, but would I be
safer getting 1 meg?

2.  I want good speakers, but I don't want to overdo the bass because I
have
a hearing loss.  Any suggestions?

3.  What kind of processor should I get?  How does the AMD compare to the
Pentium series?

4.  When I visited Best Buy, just about everything I saw had integrated
sound and video.  I have heard some people say that I am better off getting
separate sound and video cards.  Others say that integration is the way the
industry is going.  If I go with integration, are there setups that I
should
avoid?

5.  What is the difference between XP Home and XP Media Center.  If I go
with media Center, will this cause any accessibility problems

I am looking at local computer stores, as well as Dell.  I have seen Sony,
Gateway, E-machines, and HP.  A local dealer also sells Supra, which is
what
I have now.

I currently use JAWS 6.1, Microsoft Office, the various streaming audio
players, and braille translation software.  I am also planning to get one
of
the OCR programs at some point.

Thanks for any help you can give me.