[guispeak] Re: buying a new computer

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <coconut@xxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:46:35 -0400

Here are some thoughts to your questions.

1. memory, get as much as you can afford, it is never wasted. 1 gigabyte is pretty much what is recommended by people who want good performing systems.

2. You'll have to listen to the speakers, no way to determine what sounds good to you without hearing it, but I like the Bose Acoustic wave for computers, not bad sound at all

Some people love the AMD processors, I like Intel Centrinos for laptops and most anything that is fast for desktops. Again, it is a pocketbook thing.

For a laptop, integrated sound/video are the only choice. If you cannot see, video is largely irrelevant. Otherwise, go for separate motherboard, sound card and video card. You get a much wider choice that way, and the audio of the standalone cards is always better, in my opihnion, than the integrated units.

5. I cannot answer about xp media center, but if I were you, I would go with XP pro. I've used home and found it has hangups with networks and such, do not like it.
Hope this helps a little.

Dan