[guispeak] Re: Smallest laptop

  • From: "Mika Pyyhkala" <pyyhkala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 12:09:44 -0400

Hi,

I am in the same both in terms of:
1.  I want a small laptop; and
2.  I have not had the best luck with Dell support, even working for a
company that probably gives Dell about $100,000 of business annually.

I am 99% sure I am going to get a Lenovo Thinkpad.  As you may know, IBM
used to manufacturer Thinkpad machines, and the brand has been bought by
Lenovo.

The model I would recommend is the
Thinkpad X60S.

With a 4 cell battery, this machine weighs just under 3 pounds, and with an
8 cell battery its 3.5 pounds.  By the way you can swap out the batteries.

The one thing over the years that kept me from buying a Thinkpad was that
they did not include a Windows Logo key, although you could configure
another key to act in that function.  However, since Lenovo took over the
models, they have added the Windows Key back to the newer Thinkpads
including the X60S.

This machine has received very favorable reviews which you can find by
goolign
Thinkpad x60s

The one drawback is price...these machines are good but they are by no
stretch the cheapest.

I also looked at the Porteco machines, but I don't see why one would get
that over a Thinkpad especially because there are so many Thinkpad
servicers.

In case you do go with Dell...one bit of info...the Inspiron machines are
the companys sort of "home user, consumer" machine brand.  On the other
hand, the Dell Latitude is the "business, corporate" type machine.  You may
find the Latitude machine is a bit more stable, and built a little bit
better, but again it will cost you more than an Inspiron.

Best of luck, and I'm sure you'll get some other recommendations from the
list.

Regards,
Mika