[guispeak] Re: Question Regarding OCR Programs

  • From: Stephen Baum <srbaum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:16:51 -0500

Hi Keith.

Kurzweil 3000 is accessible, but was not designed for, the blind and visually impaired. It can be used by the Blind, with or without a screen reader, but it is not nearly as convenient to use as the Kurzweil 1000, and features that are specific to blind use, such as forward and reverse Braille translation, aren't available in the Kurzweil 3000. Further, features such as "Read the Web", which interact with Internet Explorer and/or FireFox, highlighting and reading text from those applications, cannot be used by the Blind without a screen reader, since menus and buttons aren't read.

A color Kurzweil 3000 Professional can scan in color, as well as black and white. A black and white Kurzweil 3000 can scan only in black and white. It should be noted that the black and white version can open, display, and read from a color KES document - it just can't make one. The term "learning lab" is a little unclear. A Kurzweil 3000 Lab Pack consists of one Professional Station (either black and white or color, depending on the type of purchase), and four Learning Stations. A Learn station is a Kurzweil 3000 that can do everything that the others can do - except scan or open PDF files.

Since I work for Kurzweil Educational Systems, I'll leave an analysis of products from a different company to other people.

Stephen

At 05:28 PM 3/31/2005, you wrote:
We are looking into buying some software for our university, and I have a couple of questions.

1. I have heard that Kurzweil 3000, while an excellent program for sighted individuals with learning disabilities, is not accessible to the blind and visually impaired. Is this true? Also, does anyone know the difference between the color learning labs and the black and white learning labs in Kurzweil 3000? Would there be much of a sacrifice for those with learning disabilities to use Kurzweil 1000 instead of 3000?

2. I am wondering if anyone has used the programs from Premier Programming. If so, what are your thoughts? Would these programs be useful for both blind and learning disabled students?

Thanks for your responses. If this is off-topic, please feel free to email privately at
<mailto:keith.bundy@xxxxxxx>keith.bundy@xxxxxxx

Keith Bundy
Director of Student Development
Dakota State University
605-256-5121
Email: <mailto:Keith.Bundy@xxxxxxx>Keith.Bundy@xxxxxxx
http://homepages.dsu.edu/bundyk

Murphy's Law #1:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Everyone has a photographic memory.

Some don't have film.