[guispeak] Question Regarding OCR Programs

  • From: "Bundy, Keith" <Keith.Bundy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:28:26 -0600

We are looking into buying some software for our university, and I have
a couple of questions.

1.  I have heard that Kurzweil 3000, while an excellent program for
sighted individuals with learning disabilities, is not accessible to the
blind and visually impaired.  Is this true?  Also, does anyone know the
difference between the color learning labs and the black and white
learning labs in Kurzweil 3000? Would there be much of a sacrifice for
those with learning disabilities to use Kurzweil 1000 instead of 3000?

2.  I am wondering if anyone has used the programs from Premier
Programming.  If so, what are your thoughts?  Would these programs be
useful for both blind and learning disabled students?

Thanks for your responses.  If this is off-topic, please feel free to
email privately at
keith.bundy@xxxxxxx

Keith Bundy
Director of Student Development