[guispeak] Re: Megadots versus Duxbury

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:47:50 -0000

Hi Don,

A very loaded question, and asked of a very biased person. What I say
here is my own very personal view, but based on being a Duxbury and
Megadots distributor in the United Kingdom. As you may or may not
know, Duxbury Systems own the source code of both products.

Megadots will work in Windows, and right up to Vista. It has many
excellent qualities.  However, it was indeed based on a DOS Kernel and
has been adapted one way or the other to work in a DOS Shell in
Windows.

On the other hand, the Duxbury Braille Translator is a Windows based
and developed product.  It is also mostly Unicode compliant, which
means that rule files can be, and have been, developed for non-Roman
script languages and what are called "glyphs".

In very simple terms, Unicode is a massive character set of over
40,000 characters (or glyphs) and as well as the characters we use,
includes Arabic, Greek, Indic characters, etc., and things like
Copyright, Registered and Smiley signs.

Microsoft Office and indeed all modern text processing software is
based on using Unicode now, and so in theory, one can take any of
these 40,000 odd characters and map a braille dot combination to it.

So, bottom line?  Megadots will remain as is, and the Duxbury Braille
Translator will continue to evolve in Windows, and perhaps even other
platforms such as Apply MAC and Linux..

George Bell.